CEMIX CRYSTAL PROOF is a surface-applied, crystalline concrete waterproofing and durability enhancing material, which waterproofs and protects all types of concrete. It consists of Portland cement, specially treated quartz sand and a compound of active chemicals. When CEMIX CRYSTAL PROOF is applied to a concrete surface the active chemicals combine with the free lime and moisture present in the capillary tracts of the concrete to form an insoluble, crystalline structure. These crystals continuously fill the pores and micro cracks in the concrete preventing any further water ingress, even under high hydrostatic pressure. These crystals are active for the life of the concrete meaning it is permanently protected. CEMIX CRYSTAL PROOF allows the passage of vapour through the structure, allowing the concrete to breathe whilst protecting. CEMIX CRYSTAL PROOF is suitable for use with potable water and therefore can be used in water storage tanks, reservoirs and water treatment plants. CEMIX CRYSTAL PROOF is not designed as a decorative material and is not designed to be painted over.
- All concrete requiring waterproofing and enhanced durability characteristics
- Basement retaining walls, underground structures and lift shafts
- Swimming pools, drinking water tanks and water retaining structures
- Dams and canals
- Sewage and water treatment plants
- Deeply penetrates the surface continuously sealing the concrete’s pores, capillary tracts and micro cracks up to 0.4mm
- For use on all types of concrete and concrete products
- Can be used on damp or green concrete
- Becomes a permanent integral part of the concrete, producing a watertight and highly durable finish
- Protects from freeze/thaw cycles, aggressive subsoil waters, sea water, carbonates, chlorides, sulphates and nitrates
- Just add water
- Brush applied
- Can be used as a dry shake for slabs and toppings
- Waterproofing and chemical resistance properties remain intact even if the surface is damaged
- Can be applied to either side of the wall – resisting positive (e.g. outside of the house) and negative (e.g. inside of the house) hydrostatic pressure
- Protects embedded steel from corrosion by chloride ions
- Increases concrete’s compressive strength
- Resists chemical attack (pH3 – 11 constant contact, 2 – 12 intermittent contact)
- More robust, durable and less costly than membrane waterproofing systems
All cracks, voids, honeycombing and non-moving joints should first be repaired and filled with CEMIX QUICK PATCH mortar. All active leaks should first be plugged with CEMIX QUICK PLUG. Rain can damage CEMIX CRYSTAL PROOF, therefore it should not be applied if rain is forecast in the following 5 days after using. Freezing temperatures may also adversely affect the product and should be avoided for 3 days after application. Thoroughly clean the area to be coated so as to remove all loose and deleterious materials and debris, including all dust, dirt and oil. All surfaces should be roughened, uncoated, clean and have an open capillary structure. Concrete slabs and walls: Rough hone or acid wash the surface to open the capillaries then water blast thoroughly. Block walls: Block walls should be plastered first. A bonding splash coat using CEMIX CEMPLASTER should be applied to the wall with the addition of CEMIX
MULITBOND diluted 1 to 1 with water.
Next a 10mm thick layer of CEMIX CEMPLASTER should be applied. Do not add bonding agents to the plaster coat. Rough finish the plaster to enhance the CEMIX CRYSTAL PROOF bond to the plaster surface.
Place approximately 250 - 300ml of clean fresh tap water per kg of CEMIX CRYSTAL PROOF
- Vertical surfaces: Approximately 1.6kg per m²
- Horizontal surfaces: Approximately 1.5kg per m²
- Dry shaking: Approximately 1kg per m²
in to a bucket or similar container.
Next add the CEMIX CRYSTAL PROOF powder to the water while stirring constantly with a drill and paddle for 2 - 3 minutes, until a
semi fluid, toothpaste like slurry is achieved. Add further CEMIX CRYSTAL PROOF if required. Start by mixing a small amount only as
product will stiffen rapidly. Mix only as much material as can be applied in 15 - 20 minutes. In very hot weather consider using chilled mixing water. Keep remixing product during
All surfaces should be dampened with water just prior to product application. Apply the slurry paste generously using a stiff bristle brush at a thickness of 1 - 2mm. Apply a second coat shortly after, brushing at right angles to the first coat. CEMIX CRYSTAL PROOF may be applied by way of dry shaking to fresh concrete. Dry shake the powder through a sieve into the top of the screeded concrete slab just prior to initial set. Trowel finish the product into the surface.
It is important to cure CEMIX CRYSTAL PROOF thoroughly after it has set by keeping it moist and covered for at least 5 days. Avoid rain damage until the product has set and freezing conditions for at least 3 days.