CEMIX SUPER RIGID SET is a cement based economical adhesive for interior or exterior fixing of tiles on rigid concrete surfaces by professionals. Cemix super rigid set is cement based rigid set, exceptionally high strength, high quality adhesive ideal for bonding most types of ceramic tiles, porcelain, mosaic, natural stone, marble and granite for wall and floor applications onto rigid substrates. Suitable for both thick and thin bed applications. When using CEMIX SUPER RIGID SET with translucent/absorbent/moisture sensitive tiles and stone, the colour of the adhesive must be considered, to avoid discolouration problems. When fixing over flexible substrates i.e., Fibrous cement sheeting, plasterboard, etc., mix CEMIX SUPER RIGID SET with CEMIX CEMLASTIC as a total water replacement to produce improved adhesion, flexural and compressive strength. A mix of CEMIX SUPER RIGID SET and CEMIX CEMLASTIC should also be used on more difficult surfaces including those in fully immersed situations or high point loads etc. Please contact Cemix Technical support for more details for large commercial applications.
TYPICAL APPLICATION / USES
The substrate should be free of dust, grease, wax, oil, dirt, loose plaster, laitance, curing compounds, paint and all other friable materials and contaminants likely to prevent the adhesive bonding. New concrete should be left with a wood float finish and sufficiently aged for a minimum of 28 days. Shiny smooth surfaces on old concrete should be acid etched or scabbled. Cemix cement screeds/floor levelers must be allowed to cure for a minimum of 7 days. All substrates should be securely fastened and properly supported to eliminate any movement that may cause cracking. Refer to the substrate test guide below for recommended surface preparation. To achieve warranted performance, it is recommended that all substrates should be primed with CEMIX CEMLASTIC with a brush/roller undiluted from the container. Allow to become tacky before tiling. For further information, contact the Cemix Technical support.
PERFORM THE SUBSTRATE TEST
MOVEMENT / CONTROL JOINTS
Movement joints must be incorporated at the design stage and in accordance with AS 3958.1-2007 as follows:
1. Over movement joints in the background
2. At a junction between different backgrounds materials
3. At internal vertical corners and fixtures interrupting the tile surface e.g. Columns
4. Around the perimeter of the tiling area
5. At a maximum of 5m intervals in a grid pattern. Consideration should be given to the provision of additional movement joints with large tiles, e.g. 400 x 400 plus, when exposed to strong sunlight.
Note: Movement joints should go right through the tile adhesive bed to the background and be kept free from dirt and adhesive droppings. Movement joints must not be less than 6mm or greater than 10mm wide. All movement joints that are 6mm wide can be filled with flexible sealant.
1. Add approx. 5L of clean water to a bucket.
2. Sprinkle CEMIX SUPER RIGID SET slowly into the water, mixing constantly until a thick creamy toothpaste consistency is achieved – with no lumps.
3. Allow to stand for 5 minutes and re mix and then the adhesive is ready to use. Use CEMIX TILE BOND LATEX as total water replacement in areas subject to movement, vibration, thermal fluctuation, expansion or contraction, immersed applications and when adhering to non-porous surfaces or tiles. In such situations please ensure that a minimum of 90% of adhesive contact is achieved to the back of the tiles. Do not aerate the mix by stirring over vigorously or for too long. The mix should be stiff enough to keep its shape when spread with a notched trowel.
All workmanship must be carried out in accordance with AS3958.1-2007. Spread the adhesive evenly with a 6mm X 6mm notched trowel for tiles up to 150mm X 150mm and for larger tiles use a 12mm X 12mm notched trowel. Lay the tiles with a good pressure, twisting to ensure good contact with the adhesive. In more demanding exterior situations, or if tiles with high ribs or lugs are being used, it is preferable to spread the backs of the tiles with a thin layer of adhesive in addition to the adhesive being trowelled onto the substrate, before laying. Do not spread more than 1m2 of adhesive at any one time as skinning may occur affecting final adhesion. Press tiles onto the adhesive before it skins and ensure that the tiles are fully supported with the adhesive with no voids. Occasionally, in order to ensure that full coverage is being maintained, a tile should be removed, ensuring the adhesive coverage to be over 90% and the tile be re laid accordingly. Once the tiles have been laid, they must not be trafficked upon or disturbed for a minimum of 24 hours at 20 °C.
Grouting may be undertaken after 24 hours but allow a further 24 hours before general use.
Appearance – Grey Powder
Application Temp – 5 – 30 °C
Yield / Coverage – Varies according to size from approximately: 6.6m² per bag of 20kg using 6 mm notched trowel 3.3m² per bag of 20kg using 10 -12mm notched trowel
Bulk Density – 1.5kg/litre
Adjustment time at 18 °C – 15 minutes
Pot life at 18 °C – 1 hour
Classification – C1E (with water) C1ES2 (with CEMIX CEMLASTIC as a to talk water replacement).
The data shown above reflects typical results based on laboratory testing under controlled conditions. Reasonable variations may occur on site.
Twelve (12) months – unopened bags in dry weatherproof storage.
Remove excess adhesive from between the tiles and clean the tile faces with a damp sponge before the adhesive sets. Clean tools and adhesive with water before the adhesive dries